Certification Program | Offered in Toronto
ABM College offers flexible schedules based on individual’s need.
This program will train you in all the aspects of personal support for individuals experiencing the need for temporary or permanent assistance. You will be encouraged to become a facilitator in the healing process.
PSWs must develop a broad range of abilities beyond dexterity skills. They must provide not only for the comfort, safety and well-being of their clients, but also demonstrates sensitivity and respect for those in their care.
The Personal Support Work program trains students to provide or assist with personal care for the frail elderly, the chronically ill and people with physical disabilities living at home or in long-term care facilities. The program replaces previous training programs for health care aides, home support workers, and attendant care and respite workers. It was developed as part of the Ontario government’s plan to reform long-term care and support services.
- Individuality of the person
- Role of the PSW
- Interpersonal skills
- Assisting a Person with Mobility
- Household Management and Meal Preparation
- Optimal Support and Care Planning
- Personal Hygiene
- Assisting the Family
- Cognitive Impairment and Health Issues
- Assisting to Manage Ongoing Conditions
- Assisting with Medications
- Assisting a Person who is dying
- Personal Support Worker
- Nursing Assistant
- Home Support worker
- Health Care Aid
Students must meet ALL of the following criteria
- Grade 12 or Equivalent / Mature Student Status
- Admission Test
- Criminal Record Test
- Medical Certificate and Immunization for Hepatitis B
- Personal Interview to determine interest, attitude and values
For further information about our Personal Support Worker program please contact an ABM College admissions counsellor.